Sunday, September 27, 2009

"No Offense"

At a party the other night, someone insulted what I and my husband do for a living while talking to us, immediately following the comment with "no offense." Yes, this person already knew that was our livelihood, so it wasn't an "accident". I know that the appropriate response to "no offense" is "none taken." But COME ON. We sell insurance to protect people's loved ones from financial ruin if they die or become disabled. We don't murder kittens. (I suppose now the make-believe "polite" thing to do would be to say "all you professional kitten murderers out there, no offense.")

Can someone explain to me how saying "no offense" excuses you from a rude or thoughtless comment? Saying "no offense" does not make what you are saying less offensive. Does that mean you can get away with saying "I've always felt you were fat and stupid and lazy. No offense." And then the recipient is supposed to say "None taken." Seriously?

In my mind, there's only ONE way to get away with saying something like that without being tactless. It goes a little something like this:
"I used to think __________________. No offense. But NOW, I realize that _____________." I think that if you cannot say that and it be true, then just DON'T SAY ANYTHING. It doesn't make you look good in the other person's eyes. It makes them realize that you don't respect them or what they do. So they'll probably try to steer clear from you in the future.

I don't think I'm going to be quite as nice as I have usually been in situations like that from now on. I think I might respond with something along the lines of "why would you feel the need to say something like that to me?" Because, let's be honest, saying "bless your heart" doesn't excuse the fact that you are insulting someone either. I don't care how silky your voice sounds when you say it. You're still a viper.

On another note, I got a letter in the mail to let me know that my gym is closing at the end of this month. Just when I was getting comfortable with going. For me to go to a gym, it has to be convenient and inexpensive. When I say convenient, I mean ultra-convenient...like really close to my work or home. Otherwise, I'm not going to go. I can be honest enough to admit that. I'm a little beside myself about this right now, and am not sure quite what to do about it.

Tonight I'm going to bake some hearty bread and contemplate what my fitness future holds...while trying not to eat too many of the buttery rolls I baked last night for the "Our Town" strike that were not ready by the time strike had ended. Poo.

No comments:

Post a Comment